Google Speech Recognition
- Authors: Mesar Hameed, Beqa Gozalishvili, Noelia Ruiz Martínez, NVDA contributors.
- Download stable version
- Download development version
This addon enables you to use speech recognition to write text using a few keystrokes.
- Open the configuration dialog for this addon from the NVDA menu.
- From the long list of languages, select the languages that you speak, and press ok.
- At least one language has to be selected at all times.
- For example English, French and German.
- Now you are ready to use speech recognition, go to any text field such as in your browser or to a text document.
- Press NVDA+y to cycle between your configured languages.
- To start dictating, press NVDA+shift+g, you will hear a high pitched beep.
- Start speaking in the chosen language .
- To stop dictation, press the same shortcut, and this time you will hear a low pitched beep. Note: if you do not stop the recording, it will automatically be stopped after 10 seconds. Bare in mind the shorter time interval, the higher accuracy.
- The speech will be sent to the Google speech recognition service, and when the transcription is returned, NVDA will announce it.
- If the recognition is correct, press the accept shortcut, NVDA+g, and the text will be written to your cursor position.
- If the recognition was not correct, simply rerecord but use a smaller chunk of words. You might need to split a long sentence into two or three chunks.
- When you want to speak in a different language, simply cycle to one of your languages and repeat the steps.
- NVDA+shift+g, Start/stop recording.
- NVDA+g, accept transcription result.
- NVDA+y, Cycle between your chosen languages.